How to Brew Your Very Own Kombucha
First your going to have to obtain a SCOBY. What exactly is that? Well its a Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast. It is the only secret ingredient that is needed when brewing your own fermented tea. Below you will see exactly how to grow your own SCOBY.
1. First your going to have to buy a bottle of Kombucha. I use GTs Original. It is unflavored and unfiltered. Not to mention that it is pure love.
2. Drink half the jar. Nice little perk added here.
3. Brew some green or black tea. Remember that you need to get caffeinated. Use about 8 regular size tea bags for each 2 cups of water.
4. After water starts to boil, remove from heat. Allow the tea to steep for about 30 minutes. At this point your going to want to add about 1/2 cup of Organic Sugar. Adding the sugar while hot, will help it dissolve. .
5. Allow the tea to cool to room temperature. This takes about an hour or so.
6. Mix the remainder of the GTs Original Kombucha that you bought with the tea you just made.
7. Pour the mixture into a glass jar. A quart size Mason Jar works just great. Then cover the jar with a coffee filter and hold it in place with the screw on ring that came with the Mason Jar.
8. Place jar in a spot that it will not be disturbed and is out of direct sun light.
The process takes about 14 to 21 days. So, remember that you have to be patient. Soon you will be the proud owner and grower of your very own SCOBY.
Below you will see a couple pictures of the SCOBY I just grew.
Just a couple of photos of my very own Scoby. I grew it, it took about 21 days from start to finish. Now its time to start a brew of green tea Kombucha.